Masato Tanaka, along with Tamaki Ura, helped develop the Penetration Test (PT) from 1987 to 1991         . The Penetration Test was introduced into the International Maritime Solid Bulk Cargoes Code (IMSBC Code) in 1994 
- URA, Tamaki, Analysis of Capsizing of Bulk Carrier due to Liquefaction of Ore Concentrates with Height Moisture Content, IMO, BC28/INF.4, (1987.1), pp.1-25.
- TANAKA, Masato; URA, Tamaki, Determination of flow moisture point, IMO, BC29/5/11, (1988.5).
- URA, Tamaki, Study on the Liquefaction Characteristics of Coal, IMO, BC30/5/2, (1988.8).
- TANAKA, Masato; URA, Tamaki, Development of Test Method of Transportable Moisture Limit for Coals, Journal of Japan Institute of Navigation, No.80, (1989.3), pp.125-131.
- Tanaka, M. and T. Ura, Development of The Penetration Method for Mineral Concentrates. International Maritime Organization, Sub-Committee on Dangerous Goods, Solid Cargoes and Containers, BC 30/5/12, 1989.
- URA, Tamaki; TANAKA, Masato, Development of new criteria against shifting of bulk cargoes, IMO, BC31/3/2, (1990.10).
- URA, Tamaki; TANAKA, Masato, Tentative results of international co-operation experiment on the penetration method, IMO, BC31/INF.4, (1990.12).
- URA, Tamaki; TANAKA, Masato, Supplementary data for determining the conditions of the penetration method for mineral concentrates and similar materials, IMO, BC31/INF.5, (1990.12).
- URA, Tamaki; TANAKA, Masato, Development of a Test Method to determine Flow Moisture Point of Bulk Cargo, Journal of Japan Institute of Navigation, No.84, (1991.3), pp.45-51. (Download PDF)
- IMO: Code of Safe Practice for Solid Bulk Cargoes (BC Code), IMO, 1994 edition